Major Kinds of Land Use and Land Utilization Types
- Land is constant but population incresing day-by-day with a rapid rate. So it is getting used by people in different way, sometimes the mode may be very good or worst for the human and environment too.Thus there is a need for the keen look upon the land utilization. A major kind of land use is a major subdivision of rural land use such as rainfed agriculture, irrigated agriculture, grassland,farming, forestry and recreation.
- Major kinds of land use are usually considered in land evaluation studies of a qualitative or reconnaissance nature.Land utilization types are not a categorical level in a classification of land use, but refer to any defined use below the level of the major kind of land use.
- A land utilization type consists of a set of technical specifications in a given physical, economic and social setting. This may be the current environment or a future needs modified by major land improvement such as an irrigation and drainage scheme.
Attributes of land utilization types include data or assumptions on:
- Power sources (such as man's labour, draught animals machinery using fuels).
- Technical knowledge and attitudes of land users.
- Technology employed (such as implements and machinery, fertilizers, livestock breeds, farm transport, methods of timber felling).
- Capital intensity.
- Labour intensity.
- Infrastructure requirements (such as sawmills, tat factories, agricultural advisory services).
- Size and configuration of land holdings, including whether consolidated or fragmented.
- Land tenure, the legal or customary manner in which rights to land are held, by individuals or groups.
- Income levels, expressed per capita, per unit of production (such as farm) or per unit area.
- Produce including goods (such as cropslivestock timber), cervices (such as recreational facilities) or other benefits (such as wildlife conservation).
- Market orientation (such as whether towards subsistence or commercial production).