Notes On Land Characteristic:
Definitions of Land
According to Marshall, “Land means the materials and the forces, which ‘nature’ gives for man’s aid–in Land and Water, Air, Light and Heat”.
According to Professor Mehta, ''Land is specific factor, or it is the specific element in a factor, or again that it is the specific aspect of a thing".
A land characteristic is an attribute of land that can be measured or estimated.
- Slope Angle: One is by the angle between 0° and 90° (in degrees), and the other is by the slope in a percentage.
- Biomass of the vegetation: Biomass also refers to the organic material on Earth that has stored sunlight in the form of chemical energy.
- Land mapping units(as determined by resource surveys):A land mapping unit is a mapped area of land with specified characteristics. Land mapping units are defined and mapped by natural resource surveys, e.g. soil survey, forest inventory.
- Rainfall: Precipitation occurs when water vapour cools. When the air reaches saturation point the water vapour condenses and forms tiny droplets of water.
- Soil Texture: The look and feel of a soil is referred to as soil texture. It is determined by the size and type of particles that make up the soil.
- Available water capacity: Available water capacity or available water content (AWC) is the range of available water that can be stored in soil and be available for growing crops.