1. Select important characteristic features of mammals
a. Four - chambered heart
b. Fore – limbs and hind limbs
c. milk – producing glands
d. Post anal tail
Answer: c. Milk – producing glands
2. Carnivorous animals use these teeth to tear flesh.
Answer: b. canines
3. The Henle’s loop of nephron is mainly responsible for reabsorption of water in the kidney. Which of the following has a long loop of Henle in its nephrons to conserve water?
a. Polar bear
Answer: b. Camel
4. Which blood cells of mammals are concerned with immunity?
a. Young Erythrocytes
d. Marured Erythrocytes
Answer: b. Leucocytes
5. You were given two unlabelled slides with blood smears of an amphibian and a mammal. You would differentiate the blood samples by observing the ________.
b. nature of RBC’s
c. nature of WBC’s
d. contents of plasma
Answer: b. nature of RBC’s
6. For the digestion of cellulose, an enzyme called cellulose is required. Some mammals lodge cellulose producing bacteria in their digestive system by offering them food and shelter. These mammals are mostly _______.
Answer: a. Herbivores
7. Forelimbs of mammals have a common basic structure or pattern, but are different in their usage / function in different animals. They can be called ________.
a. Homologous organs
b. Analogous organs
c. Vestigial organs
d. Rudimentary organs
Answer: a. Homologous organs
8. Sensitive whiskers are found in ________.
Answer: d. Cat
9. The tusks of elephants are modified ________.
10. Pick out an animal which has a four – chambered stomach. (SEP – 2014)
Answer: c. Deer
11. Normal body temperature of man is ________ (JUNE, SEP – 14)
a. 98.4 - 98.6⁰F
b. 96.6 - 96.8⁰F
c. 94.4 - 98.6⁰F
d. 98.4 - 99.6⁰F
Answer: a. 98.4 – 98.6⁰F
12. Mitral Valve is found between ________.
a. Right auricle and right ventricle
b. Left auricle and left ventricle
c. Right ventricle and pulmonary artery
d. Left ventricle and aorta
Answer: b. Left auricle and left ventricle
13. Assertion (A) : Mammalian heart is called myogenic heart.
Reason (R) : Heartbeat is regulated by a specialized muscle bundle (pacemaker) in mammals.
a. Both ‘A’ and ‘R’ are true and ‘R’ explains ‘A‘
b. Both ‘A’ and ‘R’ are true and ‘R‘ explain ’A’
c. ‘A’ is true but ‘R’ is false.
d. ‘A’ is false but ‘R’ is true.
Answer: a. Both ‘A’ and ‘R‘ are true and ’R’ explains ‘A‘
14. One of the following groups contains a non – mammalian animal. Pick up the group.
a. dolphin, walrus, porcupine, rabbit, bat
b. elephant, pig, horse, donkey, monkey
c. antelope, deer, cow, buffalo, black buck
d. dog, cat, crocodile, lion, tiger.
Answer: d. Dog, cat, crocodile, lion, tiger
15. The epidermis of mammals contains ________. (APRIL, JUNE - 14)
a. hair, bristles, quills
b. hair, nails, claws
c. hair, bristles, horns
d. hair, nails, scales
Answer: a. hair, bristles, quills
16. Based on relationship, fill up :
Whale : Filppers
Bat : _______.
17. Fill in the blanks.
RBC : Carrier of oxygen;
WBC : ________.
Answer: Engulfing germs and producing antibodies
18. Based on modifications, make the pairs :
Incisor : tusks of elephant
______ : quills of porcupine