Banwarilal Purohit is New Governor of Tamil Nadu:
President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Banwari Lal Purohit as Tamil Nadu governor on Saturday. It is the first time that the state has got a full time governor after K Rosaiah retired in August 2016.Maharashtra governor Ch Vidyasagar Rao had additional charge of Tamil Nadu since Mr Rosaiah's retirement.
Other than Mr Purohit, President Ram Nath Kovind filled in vacancies in five other states.
- Retired Brig. B. D. Mishra is the new Governor of Arunachal Pradesh
- Satya Pal Malik is Governor of Bihar
- Prof. Jagdish Mukhi is Governor of Assam
- Ganga Prasad is the Governor of Meghalaya
- retired Admiral DK Joshi takes over Andaman and Nicobar islands.
Short Notes about the New Governor of Tamil Nadu
- Banwarilal Purohit first joined the All India Forward Block.
- Later he joined Congress. After Indira Gandhi split Congress Party and formed Congress (Indira), Purohit was elected as MLA from Nagpur East constituency in 1978, contesting as member of Congress(I), and he was re-elected in 1980 from Nagpur South and became a Minister of State for Urban Development, Slum Improvement and Housing in 1982.
- In 1984, he was elected to the 8th Lok Sabha as member of Congress Party. He was re-elected in 1989 on Congress ticket.
- Later he joined Bharatiya Janata Party when it launched a movement to build Ram Temple in Ayodhya and contested Lok Sabha elections in 1991 as the party's candidate. But he lost to Datta Meghe of Indian National Congress. In 1996, he was elected to 11th Lok Sabha as BJP's candidate.
- In 1999, he quit the Bharatiya Janata Party to join the Indian National Congress after he developed serious differences with Pramod Mahajan. He contested the Lok Sabha elections from Ramtek in 1999 but lost.
- In 2003, he launched his own party called Vidarbha Rajya Party and contested the Lok Sabha elections from Nagpur in 2004.
- In 2009 he again contested on BJP's ticket but lost the election to Vilas Muttemwar of Indian National Congress.
- In August 2016, Purohit was appointed as Governor of Assam by replacing Padmanabha Acharya who had additional in-charge of Assam.
- In September 30, 2017 he was appointed as Governor of Tamil Nadu President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Banwari Lal Purohit as Tamil Nadu governor on Saturday. It is the first time that the state has got a full time governor after K Rosaiah retired in August 2016
Source & Courtesy: The Hindu / Wikipedia