2. What is the name of the highest summit of Nilgiri Hills?
4. Which one of the following Himalayan Passes was reopened around in the middle of the year 2006to facilitate trade between India and China?
(a) Chang La
(c) Nathu La
(d) Shipki La
4. Where are Shevaroy Hills located?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(d) Tamil Nadu
5. In which State is the Guru Shikhar Peak located?
(c) Madhya Pradesh
6. Why is it that the Himalayan region is poor in mineral resources?
(a) Displacement of rock strata has disturbed the arrangement of rocks and made it complex
(b) It is made up of crystalline rock
(c) the terrain makes exploitation of minerals difficult
(d) The climatic conditions are not suitable, for exploitation of minerals
7. Which one of the following gives the correct sequence of Himalayan peaks in the direction east to west?
(a) Dhaulagiri, Kanchenjunga, Makalu, Mt. Everest
(b) Kanchenjunga, Makalu, Dhaulagiri, Mt. Everest
(c) Makalu, Dhaulagiri, Kumaun, Namcha Barwa
(d) Namcha Barwa, Kanchenjunga, Mt. Everest, Nanda Devi
8. Which one of the following is the junction point of the Eastern Ghats and Western Ghats?
(a) Javadi Hills
(b) Anaimalai Hills
(c) Nilgiri Hills
(d) Shevaroy Hills
9. The highest peak of the Himalayas in India is in _________
(a) Uttar Pradesh
(d) Himachal Pradesh
10. Match the following:
Peaks Mountain range
A. Gurushikhar 1. Zanskar
B. Dhupgarh 2. Satpura
C. Doda Betta 3. Nilgiri
D. Nanga Parbat 4. Vindhya
A B C D
(a) 4 2 5 1
(b) 3 4 1 5
(c) 4 5 2 1
(d) 5 2 3 1
11. Where exactly is Aksai Chin?
(a) Near Leh
(b) The north-east corner of Jammu and Kashmir
(c) Along the Zaskar mountains
(d) South of the Siachen Glacier
12. Match the following:
A. Dzukou Valley 1. Himachal Pradesh
B. Yumthang Valley 2. Sikkim
C. Neora Valley 3. Nagaland
D. Sangla Valley 4. West Bengal
A B C D
(a) 1 2 4 3
(b) 1 4 2 3
(c) 3 2 4 1
(d) 3 4 2 1
13. The hill range that separates the state of Manipur from the state of Nagaland is known as:
(a) Arakan hills
(b) Patkai hills
(c) Barail hills
14. Considering the location of mountains in India which one of the following is in right sequence from south to north?
(a) Dodabetta, Kailash, Dhaulagiri, Vindhyachal
(b) Dodabetta, Vindhyachal, Dhaulagiri, Kailash
(c) Dhaulagiri, Kailash, Dodabetta, Vindhyachal
(d) Dhaulagiri, Vindhyachal, Dodabetta, Kailash
15. Siwaliks are:
(a) to the north of Himadri
(b) foothills of Himalayan ranges
(c) in Meghalaya
(d) the plateau between Pamirs and Myanmar
16. Palghat joins which of the following states?
(a) Sikkim and West Bengal
(b) Maharashtra and Gujarat
(c) Kerala and Tamil Nadu
(d) Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim
17. Which one of the following is the correct sequence of the given hills starting from the
north and going towards the south? [IAS 2005]
(a) Nallamalai Hills - Nilgiri Hills - Javadi Hilis - Anaimalai Hills
(b) Anaimalai Hills - Javadi Hills - Nilgiri Hills - Nallamalai Hills
(c) Nallamalai Hills - Javadi Hills - Nilgiri Hills - Anaimalai Hills
(d) Anaimalai Hills - Nilgiri Hills - Javadi Hills - Nallamalai Hills
18. Consider the following statements:
1. Cherrapunji is located on the south side of Garo hills.
2. Cherrapunji is about 1700 m above mean sea level.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither 1 nor 2
19. Nanda Devi peak forms a part of _________
(a) Assam Himalayas
(b) Kumaon Himalayas
(c) Nepal Himalayas
(d) Punjab Himalayas
20. Which one of the following statements is not correct?
(a) The Western Ghats are relatively higher in their northern region
(b) The Anal Mudi is the highest peak in the Western Ghats
(c) Tapi river lies to the south of Satpura
(d) The Narmada and the Tapi river valleys are said to be old rift valleys