2. Mt. Everest
3. Nanda Devi
(a) I, II, III, IV
(b) I, II, IV, III
(c) III, II, I, IV
(d) III, IV, II, I
2. A rift valley is formed mainly due to:
(a) forces of tension in the earth's crust
(b) the subsidence of the floor of a river valley
(c) the valley formed after the formation of fold mountains
(d) the deepening of a valley by ice action
3. The Himalayas are generally divided into three ranges which do not include:
(b) Greater Himalayas
(d) Lesser Himalayas
4. What do you understand by the term 'Doab' ?
(a) Where the delta of river begins
(b) Where two or more rivers meet
(c) Land between two separate river systems
(d) Land between two tributaries of a river
5. Arrange the following ranges in order as they occur from north to south:
1. Pir Panjal
(a) II, IV, III, I
(b) II, III, IV, I
(c) I, II, IV, III
(d) III, II, IV, I
6. Consider the following:
1. Mahadeo Hills
2. Sahyadri Parvat
3. Satpura Range
What is the correct sequence of the above from the north of the south ?
(a) 1, 2, 3
(b) 2, 1, 3
(c) 1, 3, 2
(d) 2, 3, 1
7. Which of the following gives the correct sequence of hills in the east-west direction?
(a) Naga, Mikir, Khasi, Garo
(b) Garo, Khasi, Mkir, Naga
(c) K'hasi,Garo, Naga, Mikir
(d) Mikir, Naga, Khasi, Garo
8. Which of the following are true regarding Chhota Nagpur?
1. It is one of the former princely states.
2. It is a plateau area in Jharkhand inhabited mainly by the tribals.
3. It is a name given to the contiguous tribal areas in Bihar, West Bengal. Orissa and M.P.
(a) 1 and 3
(b) 2 and 3
(c) 1 and 2
(d) 1, 2 and 3
9. The new alluvial deposits found in the Gangetic plain are known as ___________
10. Match the following:
A. Bhabar 1. Younger alluvium
B. Terai 2. It is very porous
3. Has thick forest and wild life
D. Khadar 4. Older alluvium
A B C D
(a) 2 3 4 1
(b) 1 2 3 4
(c) 4 3 2 1
(d) 4 3 1 2
11. The correct order of the given hills from west to east is :
(c) Khasi-Garo- Jaintia-Naga
(d) Garo-Khasi- Jaintia-Naga
12. Which one of the following statements is wrong regarding the "Vale of Kashmir" ?
(a) It is a synclinal valley
(b) It is situated 'between the Pir Panjal Range and the Lesser Himalayas
(c) It is drained by the river Jhelum
(d) Previously it was a bed of a great lake, subsequently uplifted.
13. Consider the following mountain ranges:
1. Ladakh Range
3. Greater Himalayas
4. Zanskar Range
What is the correct sequence of these from south to north?
(a) 3, 4, 1, 2
(b) 3, 1, 4, 2
(c) 4, 2, 3, 1
(d) 4, 3, 2, 1
14. Match the following:
A. Zoji La Pass 1. Sikkim
B. Bara Lacha Pass 2. Uttarakhand
C. Jelep La Pass 3. Himachal Pradesh
D. Niti Pass 4. Jammu and Kashmir
A B C D
(a) 4 1 3 2
(b) 2 3 1 4
(c) 4 3 1 2
(d) 2 1 3 4
15. Which one of the following States in India has the broadest continental shelf?
(a) Andhra Pradesh
(d) Tamil Nadu
16. Which of the following are true with respect to the Indian Peninsular Plateau?
1. The southern plateau block is formed mainly of granites and gneiss
2. The Deccan lava plateau is an elevated tableland consisting of horizontally arranged lava sheets
3. The Malwa plateau dominates the Vindhyan scarps forming the northern flank of the plateau
4. The troughs of the Narmada and the Tapti are interposed between the Vindhyan and the Satpura ranges.
(a) I, II and III
(b) I and II
(c) I, II, III and IV
(d) I, III and IV
17. Which of the following is the main difference between the Western and Eastern Ghats?
(c) Proximity to the coast
18. Which of the following is not true with regard to the coastal plains of India ?
(a) The west coast has a narrow alluvial margin interspersed by hilly terrain
(b) The eastern coast has a wide plain with well-developed deltas of the major rivers
(c) The west coast has little indentation except towards the south
(d) The west and east coasts, have the same alluvial features
19. In which one of the following is the Himalayan pass Shipki La located?
(a) Chandra valley
(b) Hunza valley
(c) Nubra valley
(d) Sutlej valley
20. Arrange the following hill ranges in order from north to south:
1. Nallamala Hills
4. Cardamon Hills
(a) I, IV, III, II
(b) I, II, III, IV
(c) II, I, III, IV
(d) I, II, IV, III