Today is Chhatrapati Shivaji's birth Anniversary
- Shivaji Bhonsle was a great warrior King of Marathas. He carved a niche for himself with his guerrilla tactics, established the Maratha kingdom and fought Mughals.
- The day is also known as Shiv Jayanti and is being celebrated with traditional fervour in Maharashtra today. It is the Maratha warrior king's 368th birth anniversary today.
- Born - February 19, 1630 (Debated) at Shivneri Fort near Pune (India)
- Died - April 3, 1680 at Raigad Fort, Pune
- Reign - 1674-1680 CE
- Coronation - June 6, 1674
- Successor - Sambhaji
- Father - Shahaji Bhosale
- Mother - Jijabai
- Step-brother - Ekoji I
- Religion - Hinduism
- Sons - Sambhaji Bhosale, Rajaram Bhosale
- Daughters - Sakhubai Nimbalkar, Ranubai Jadhav, Ambikabai Mahadik, Rajkumaribai Shirke. Consort Saibai (Nimbalkar)
- Wives - Soyarabai (Mohite), Putalabai (Palkar), Sakvarbai (Gaikwad), Kashibai (Jadhav)
- Shivaji - Shivaji Bhosale was a 17th century warrior of India. He led to the development of an independent Maratha kingdom having Raigad as its capital.
- Administrative system of Shivaji: The administrative system of Shivaji was largely borrowed from the administrative practices of the Deccan states. It was also influenced by the principles laid down in Kautilya’s Arthasastra and the Dharmasastras. In the discharge of his duties he was assisted by a council of ministers.
- Military system: Shivaji created and maintained an organized and disciplined army consisting of infantry, cavalry and navy. Shivaji recruited only able persons in his army. He had the skills to manage a huge army. His army mostly composed of light infantry and light cavalry was admirably well-adapted to guerilla warfare and hill campaign.
- Death of Shivaji: Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj died on April 3, 1680. After the death of Shivaji, his son Sambhaji Maharaj(1680-1689) succeeded him. After the death of Sambhaji , his brother, Rajaram Maharaj, assumed the leadership of Maratha Empire and continued the struggle.