1. Amnesty International is
(a) an agency of the United Nations to help refugees of civil war.
(b) a global Human Rights Movement.
(c) a non-governmental voluntary organization to help very poor people.
(d) an inter-governmental agency to cater to medical emergencies in war-ravaged regions.
2. With reference to the art and archaeo-logical history of India, which one among the following was made earliest?
(a) Lingaraja Temple at Bhubaneswar
(b) Rock-cut Elephant at Dhauli
(c) Rock-cut Monuments at Mahabalipuram
(d) Varaha Image at Udayagiri
3. With reference to the Cabinet Mission, which of the following statements is/are correct?
1. It recommended a federal government.
2. It enlarged the powers of the Indian courts.
3. It provided for more Indians in the ICS.
Select the correct answer using the code given below.
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 and 3
(c) 1 and 3
4. Which one of the following National Parks has a climate that varies from tropical to subtropical,
temperate and arctic?
(a) Khangchendzonga National Park
(b) Nandadevi National Park
(c) Neora Valley National Park
(d) Namdapha National Park
5. Indira Gandhi Prize for Peace, Disarmament and Development for 2014 was given to which one of the following?
(a) Bhabha Atomic Research Centre
(b) Indian Institute of Science
(c) Indian Space Research Organisation
(d) Tata Institute of Fundamental Research
6. Consider the following
1. The first woman President of the Indian National Congress was Sarojini Naidu.
2. The first Muslim President of the Indian National Congress was Badruddin Tyabji.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
(a) 1 only
(b) 2 only
(c) Both 1 and 2
(d) Neither I nor 2
7. Who of the following founded a new city on the south bank of a tributary to river Krishna and undertook to rule his new kingdom as the agent of a deity to whom all the land south of the river Krishna was supposed to belong?
(a) Amoghavarsha II
(b) Ballala II
(c) Harihara I
(d) Prataparudra II
8.The term ‘Goldilocks Zone’ is often seen news in the context of
(a) the limits of habitable zone above the surface of the Earth
(b) regions inside the Earth where shale gas is available
(c) search for the Earth-like planets in outer space
(d) search for meteorites containing precious metals
9. Who of the following organized a march on the Tanjore coast to break the Salt Law in April 1930?
(a) V. O. Chidambaram Pillai
(b) C. Rajagopalachari
(c) K. Kamaraj
(d) Annie Besant
10. What is Rio+20 Conference, often mentioned in the news?
(a) It is the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development
(b) It is a Ministerial Meeting of the World Trade Organization
(c) It is a Conference of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
(d)It is a Conference of the Member Countries of the Convention on Biological Diversity