1. Which one of the following plants is effective in reducing water pollution and is also useful for producing biogas?
(b) Water hyacinth
2. The Stone Age people had the first domestic ______
3. ‘The Modern Review’ was started by ______
(a) Madan Mohan Malaviya
(b) C. V. Chintamani
(c) Ramanand Chatterjee
4. Holding of elections for the Panchayats is decided by ______
(a) The District Magistrate
(b) Constitutional mandate
(c) The State Government
(d) The Election Commission
5. Which one of the following can be classified as a “Pratiloma Marriage”?
(a) A Brahmin girl marrying a Sudra boy
(b) A Sudra girl marrying a Brahmin boy
(c) A Brahmin girl marrying a Brahminboy
(d) None of these
6. Assertion (A) : Ali Brothers founded the Swaraj Party.
Reason (R): The Swarajists were in favour ofcouncil entry and obstruction from within.
(a) Both A and R are true and R is thecorrect explanation of A.
(b) Both A and R are true but R is nota correct explanation of A.
(c) A is true but R is false.
(d) A is false but R is true.
7. How many major ports are there at present in India ?
8. Consider the following policy decisions of the Government:
1. Giving autonomy to the electronicmedia.
2. Appointing an industrialist as the Chairman of the Indian Airlines.
3. Hiring computer services on contractbasis from the market.
4. Selling equity shares of the State Bank of India in the market.
9. Which one of the following is the National Flower of India ?
10. Who is the first Indian to win the grandmaster’s title?
(a) D. V. Prasad
(b) S. V. Natarajan
(c) Vishwanathan Anand
(d) Ravi Kumar