Rio de Janeiro - Olimpic - Badminton P.V.Sindhu Silver Medal
- P.V.Sindhu won the Badminton Silver Medal for Rio Olimpic Games on 19.08.2016.
Search area was earlier mapped in 1990: GSI scientists
- A search team on board the Geological Survey of India research vessel Samudra Ratnakar has found something that appears to be a part of the missing Indian Air Force AN-32 aircraft on the seabed of Bay of Bengal, at a depth of 3.5km. The eightmember team, which has so far scanned about 4500sqkm, will revisit the spot to conduct another survey.
Zika virus affects our brain just like Alzheimer's
- Zika can “wreak havoc“ on the brains of adults and cause major, lasting damage, according to a new study . The research could overthrow the assumption that the virus is only of major worry to pregnant women. Until now, the mosquito borne infection has been primarily linked to microcephaly, a serious defect where babies are born with small heads and brain damage. That has meant that pregnant women were warned to avoid coming into contact with the infection -but others have shown no obvious symptoms.
The New Governor of RBI (Reserve Bank of India) - Urjit Patel and New Deputy Governor - Patra
- The Narendra Modi government on Saturday (20.08.2016) signalled continuity by naming Raghuram Rajan's key deputy , Urjit Patel, as the 24th governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI).Urjit Patel, a PhD from Yale, has been Deputy Governor at RBI since 2013.Patra may replace Patel as RBI deputy governor. Patra is a Fellow of the Harvard University where he undertook post doctoral research in the area of financial stability. He has a Ph.D. in economics from the Indian Institute of Technology , Mumbai.
World's first leprosy vaccine, from Indian institute, to go on trial
- The first exclusive vaccine for leprosy , made in India, will be piloted in five districts of Bihar and Gujarat in a few weeks as a part of the country's efforts at eradicating the crippling disease that affects 1.25 lakh people every year. About 60% of the global leprosy patients live in India, where poor detection and treatment leave many of them crippled. If the pilot phase shows satisfactory results, the programme will be implemented in other high-prevalence districts across the country. The vaccine, developed by founder-director of the National Institute of Immunology (NII) G P Talwar, has been approved by the Drug Controller General of India (DCGI) and the US-FDA.
Wind energy generation in TN reaches record high
- Wind power consumption in Tamil Nadu has reached a record high.Since May 15, when the wind power season started, the state has consumed 6,087 lakh million units, which is several times more than the wind power consumption in 2014 and 2015. On an average, about 22% of the power requirement in the state over the past three months has been met by wind energy.
Bardish Chagger First woman to lead Canada House
- Indo-Canadian Sikh MP Bardish Chagger has been named as the new Leader of the government in Canada's House of Commons, becoming the first woman to hold the post in the country's history . Chagger, the 36-year-old Waterloo MP and minister of small business and tourism, was among 19 Indian-origin candidates who won in last year's general election.