Cabinet nod for surrogacy bill that bans `rent-a-womb'
- In a bid to put an end to the “surrogacy industry“, the cabinet cleared the surrogacy (regulation) bill that proposes a complete ban on the `rent-a-womb' trade, barring foreigners, single persons and divorcees from opting for surrogate births.
- The bill prescribes an age bracket of 23 to 50 years for the female partner and 26 to 55 years in case of the male on the day of certification. The surrogate mother has to be a married woman with at least one healthy biological child. Also a woman is allowed to be a surrogate only once.
- Abandonment of surrogate child, commercial surrogacy, exploitation of surrogate mother, selling of human embryo or import of embryo will attract imprionment of at least 10 years and a fine up to Rs.10 lakhs.
- Reservation of local body positions for SCSTs and women in Tamil Nadu will be on the basis of 2011census data, the state government told Madras high court.“The seats in the wards of the village panchayats, panchayat union councils and district panchayats are being reserved in proportion to the 2011 population of SCSTs as per the provisions of the TN Panchayats Act and TN Panchayats (reservation of seats and rotation of reserved seats) rules.Further as per the TN Panchayats (Amendment) Act, 2016, 50% reservation to women is being fixed in the three tier panchayati raj institutions.“
- Close relatives, friends and neighbours make up most of the accused in cases of rape of minors in Uttar Pradesh which in turn make up more than half of the total number of rape cases from 2010 to 2015. According to the CAG report on these cases, 59 % of rape victims were below 18 years.
INS Kalvari to hit waters for final trial in September, 2016
- Kalvari, Indian Navy's first indigenous Scorpene-class stealth submarine, will hit the waters again in September for its final phase of sea trials ahead of its planned induction by the end of this year.The 66-metre-long INS Kalvari is part of an over USD 3.5 billion contract signed by the defence ministry with French firm DCNS in October 2005 to jointly develop six submarines. Under Project 75 of the Indian Navy, the submarines are being built at the MDL dockyard in Mumbai under license from DCNS.
The world largest aircraft
- The world largest aircraft Airlander 10 damaged its cockpit after making a bumpy landing at Cardington airfield in england during its second test on 24.08.2016 but Airlander 10 had successfully completed its first test flight on August 17, 2016.
Found: An Earth-like planet nearby
- Another Earth could be circling the star right next door to us. Astronomers announced on Wednesday (24.08.2016) that they had detected a planet orbiting Proxima Centauri, the closest neighbor to our solar system. Intriguingly , the planet is in the star's “Goldilocks zone“, where it may not be too hot nor too cold. That means liquid water could exist at the surface, raising the possibility for life.
Courtesy: The Times of India