Failure to utilise international loans cost India Rs 600 cr in 6 yrs
- India's failure to start development projects on schedule and draw international loans in time has led to the government paying over Rs 600 crore by way of commitment charges in the last six years. Commitment charges are a fee charged by a lender to a borrower for an unused credit line or undisbursed loan. These charges on undrawn balance of external loans are paid on principal amount rescheduled for drawal on later dates.A study of the undrawn balance year after year, for which India has been paying additional commitment charges, indicates that the NDA regime's track record in meeting deadlines of projects has been as bad as its predecessor. A comptroller and auditor general (CAG) report, tabled in Parliament last month, shows the undrawn balance of external loans in 2014-15 was Rs 2,10,099 crore.
Vatican selects logo by Mumbai designer for event
- The canonization of Mother Teresa in Rome on September 4 has a proud Mumbai connection. The official logo chosen by the Vatican for use worldwide has been created by Mahim graphic designer, Karen Vaswani. It bears the classic pose of Mother gazing lovingly at a child she is carrying in her arms.
Hindu Marriage Bill tabled in Pakistan's national assembly
- The report of the standing committee on law and justice on the Hindu Marriage Bill 2016 was presented in the national assembly on Wednesday and is just one step away from being approved as the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party is supporting it. Member of the national assembly (MNA) Ramesh Lal, one of the bill's movers, said it took around 10 months for the committee to clear the bill and another six months for its report to be presented in the house. The bill was approved by the standing committee on February 8.
NASA to launch first asteroid sample return mission
- NASA is set to launch its first mission to return pristine samples of an asteroid to Earth, which will help study how planets formed and how life began. The findings may also improve our understanding of asteroids that could impact Earth, researchers said.The Origins, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regolith Explorer (OSIRIS-REx) spacecraft will travel to the nearEarth asteroid Bennu and bring a sample back to Earth for intensive study
Rio Olimpic - Sakchi Malik - Bronze Medal for Wrestling
- Sakthi Malik making her India's second youngest individual Olympic medalist. she won Bronze Medal for Wrestling. The first Indian female wrestler to win an olympic medal.
Courtesy: The Times of India