India has emerged as world's fastest growing economy due to hardwork of farmers & workers: President
- President Pranab Mukherjee has said in the last 13 years, Country's economy grew more than 7 per cent, making it the fastest growing large economy of the world.
- The President was speaking on the topic of 'India at 70', during the sixth K S Rajamony Memorial Lecture in Kochi yesterday.
- He added that as as per the indication of the third part of the current year, it is sure to grow more than 7 and a half per cent.
SC appointed SIT detects 70 thousand crore rupees black money
- Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigating Team (SIT) on black money has so far unearthed black money to the tune of 70 thousand crore rupees across the country.
- Speaking to media after a high-level meeting of SIT on black money, its Vice-Chairman Justice Arijit Pashayat said in Cuttack yesterday that the SIT is hopeful that the amount will rise substantially further in the coming days.
- Justice Pasayat also informed that the committee will submit its sixth report to the Apex court in the first week of April.
Centre approves over 4,000 PG seats in medical colleges & hospitals
- Centre has approved over 4,000 Post Graduate seats in medical colleges and hospitals across the country for the academic session 2017-18.
- Health Minister J P Nadda in an official statement yesterday said that with this, the total number of PG seats available in the country will go up to over 35 thousand.
- He said, this will further boost nations resolve to strengthen tertiary care and improve the medical education in the country. Mr Nadda said, of the total increase, 2 thousand 46 seats are in medical colleges.
Andhra Pradesh Cabinet accepts naming of Tirupati Airport as Sri Venkateswara Airport
- Andhra Pradesh State Cabinet which met under the chairmanship of Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu yesterday (02.03.2017) in Amaravati took several important decisions, including naming of Gannavaram Airport as NTR Amaravati Airport and Tirupati Airport as Sri Venkateswara Airport. A proposals for renaming the airports would be sent to the Centre for approval.
- The Cabinet has accepted the Andhra Pradesh Maritime Board Draft Bill. The board works in the place of Andhra Pradesh Port department. It also decided to float new liquor policy by introducing amendments in the Assembly which would be meeting from 6th March at the newly inaugurated Assembly building.
- Energy University Draft Bill-2017 would also be introduced in the Assembly. The government cleared the proposals by allotting land for Energy University at Penukonda in Anantapur district and Logistic Park at Kakinada.
Tripura govt sends proposal to Centre to set up AIIA in State
- Tripura government has sent a proposal to the Centre to set up the All India Institute of Ayurveda, AIIA in the State. The state Health Minister Badal Chowdhury handed over the proposal to the Union Minister for Ayush Shripad Yesso Naik in Agartala who was on a tour to the state.
- The state government has also proposed for setting up of a regional research Institute in Ayurveda, claiming the state is enriched with abundant plant bio-diversity.
Odisha achieved highest point decline in infant mortality rate in country: Naveen Patnaik
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has said that the state has achieved highest point decline in infant mortality rate in the country. Speaking to media after a review meeting at the State state secretariat yesterday, he said the infant mortality rate in Odisha which was 96 per 1000 births in 2000 has been reduced to 40 in 2015-16. The number is lower than the national average 41, according to the 4th round of the National Family Health Survey 2015-16.
- Notably, the State government has allocated 345 crore rupees under Mukhya Mantri Swasthya Seva in 2017-18 that aims to strengthen health infrastructure. The budget earmarked 45 crore rupees under Sampurna yojana that will focus on 15 high burden districts for accelerated reduction of infant mortality and maternal mortality rate.
Top US Senator pushed for selling state-of-the-art guardian drones to India
- A top US Senator has strongly pushed for selling the state-of-the-art guardian drones to India which is going to be the next great thing of defence collaboration between both countries.
UN envoy on human rights in Myanmar calls for COI to investigate abuses in country
- The United Nations envoy on human rights in Myanmar called for the creation of a Commission of Inquiry (COI), the UN's highest-level probe, to investigate abuses in the country. Human Rights envoy Yanghee Lee made the appeal in a report submitted to the UN rights council, currently holding its main annual session in Geneva. She urged the 47-member body to establish a COI to investigate the systematic, structural and institutional discrimination in policy, law and practice, as well long-standing persecution, against the Rohingya and other minorities in Rakhine State.