Dalai Lama's visit to Arunachal will take place as scheduled: Rijiju
- The week-long visit of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama to Arunachal Pradesh next month will take place as scheduled, notwithstanding objections by China.
- Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju said that the Dalai Lama will be in the north eastern state from April 4 to 13. He said the Dalai Lama will be a guest of the Arunachal Pradesh government and as a devotee, he will meet him in Tawang.
SC appointed SIT detects 70 thousand crore rupees black money
- Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigating Team (SIT) on black money has so far unearthed black money to the tune of 70 thousand crore rupees across the country.
- Speaking to media after a high-level meeting of SIT on black money, its Vice-Chairman Justice Arijit Pashayat said in Cuttack yesterday that the SIT is hopeful that the amount will rise substantially further in the coming days. Justice Pasayat also informed that the committee will submit its sixth report to the Apex court in the first week of April
National conference on Jal Kranti Abhiyan to be organised in New Delhi
- Ministry of Water Resources and River Development is organizing a national conference on Jal Kranti Abhiyan in New Delhi on Tuesday. About 700 participants representing various stakeholder groups such as farmers, panchayat members, NGOs and students will attend the daylong conference.
- The Ministry had launched Jal Kranti Abhiyan on June, 2015 to consolidate water conservation and management in the country through a holistic and integrated approach involving all stakeholders.
- One of the main objectives of the Abhiyan is strengthening grass root involvement of all stakeholders including panchayati raj institutions and local bodies for participatory irrigation management.
India to supply additional 60 MW power to Bangladesh
- India is going to supply additional 60 MW power from its ONGC-Tripura power plant to Bangladesh. Interacting with media last evening, Tripura Power Minister Manik Dey said, an agreement between the two sides is likely to be signed later this month.
- He said, Bangladesh had earlier sought additional 100 MW power from OTPC's Palatana plant and Tripura government also proposed to the Central government affirmatively. State Power Minister Manik De also, claimed that presently, there is no electricity crisis in the state.
- India started supplying 500 MWs power to Bangladesh in 2013 after a deal was signed between India’s NTPC Vidyut Vyapar Nigam Limited and Bangladesh Power Development Board on 28 February, 2012. The deal was a follow-up of agreement inked during Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina visited New Delhi in 2010.
GST Council approves final draft of Central GST, Integrated GST laws
- The GST Council today approved the final draft of Central GST and Integrated GST laws in its meeting headed by Finance Minister Arun Jaitley in New Delhi.
- Briefing media in New Delhi, Mr Jaitley said, the UT-GST and SGST laws will be approved in the next meeting on 16th of this month.
- Agriculturists will be exempt from registering under the GST regime. Apart from this, business entity with an annual turnover of up to 20 lakhs rupees will also not be required registration under the new tax regime.
Maharashtra govt announces draft policy to attract $5 bn investment
- Maharashtra government today announced a draft defense and aerospace manufacturing policy to attract investment of 5 billion dollars over a period of five years.
- The highlight of the policy is creation of a fund of 1000 crore rupees to support defense manufacturers, especially the medium and small manufacturing enterprises.
- Announcing the policy, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said, Maharashtra is the first state to declare such a policy.
Delhi LG Anil Baijal approves 37% hike in minimum wages
- Delhi Lieutenant Governor Anil Baijal gave approval to hike minimum wages of skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled workers. Delhi government had recently sent wage hike proposal to the Lieutenant Governor. Government had approved a 37 per cent increase in the minimum wages for workers.
Foundation stone of new building of Aizawl bench of Gauhati High Court laid
- The foundation stone of new building of Aizawl bench of Gauhati High Court was today laid by Mizoram Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and Chief Justice of Gauhati High Court Ajit Singh.
- The Chief Justice appealed to the state government to release funds for construction of the court building.
Arunachal Pradesh to introduce smart classrooms in govt schools
- Arunachal Pradesh to introduce the concept of smart classes in government-run schools to see use of information and communications technology (ICT) to impart education.
- These classes would be introduced in all 264 government higher secondary and secondary schools across the state from class 9 to class 10 in a phased manner.
- An official communiqué said the decision was taken by Chief Minister Pema Khandu during a cabinet meeting in Itanagar today (04.03.2017).
Madhya Pradesh: Tribal festival 'Bhagoria' to begin in Jhabua
- The annual tribal festival 'Bhagoria' will begin in Jhabua and four other districts of Madhya Pradesh from Monday.
- The week-long festival is organised at different Bhagoria haats (local markets) in Jhabua, Alirajpur, Dhar,Khargone and Barwani districts in western Madhya Pradesh.
China to increase military spending by 7% in 2017
- China says, it will increase military spending by about 7 percent this year, just days after Donald Trump outlined a boost to the US defence budget.
- At a press conference ahead of Parliament session, Government spokeswoman, Fu Ying, said in Beijing that the defense spending would account for about 1.3 percent of GDP, the same level as the past few years. She said future Chinese expenditure will depend on US actions in the region.
India foreign exchange reserves increases by USD 63.7 million
- India's foreign exchange reserves increased by USD 63.7 million to USD 362.79 billion in the week ended 24th February 2017.
- A RBI press release has informed that foreign currency assets, a major part of the overall reserves increased by 63.4 million to USD 339.783 billion. In the previous week, the reserves had declined by USD 56.8 million to USD 362.73 billion.
India to lead world in smart phone adoption
- India will lead the world in smart phone adoption with a net addition of 350 million connections in 2016-20.
- A GSM Association report released in Barcelona says, the estimates are based on the GSMA Intelligence Consumer Survey 2016 conducted across 56 countries on the mobile usage trend.
- Smart phones accounted for 51 per cent of mobile connections at the end of 2016.
French football legend Raymond Kopa passes away
- French football legend Raymond Kopa who won the European Cup three times with Real Madrid in the 1950s, died in Paris today after a long illness.
- Kopa was also central part of the French side beaten by Pele's Brazil in a classic World Cup semi-final in 1958. In a statement French Presient Francois Hollande said, Kopa was one of France's most admired sportsmen.
Courtesy: AIR News