Arun Jaitley tables GST Bills in Lok Sabha
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley today tabled CGST, IGST, UT GST and GST Compensation Bills in Lok Sabha. The integrated GST deals in taxation of inter-state movement of goods and services while the Union Territory GST Bill covers taxation in Union Territories.
- The government is looking at passage of the GST Bills in the Lower House by the end of this month. These Bills will then move to the Rajya Sabha. The current session of Parliament ends on April 12.
Information and Broadcasting Minister Naidu launches online film certification system of CBFC
- Information and Broadcasting Minister M Venkaiah Naidu has said that Government will revisit the entire process of film certification. He said consultation has already begun on Benegal Committee and Mudgal Committee reports on Central Board of Film Certification, CBFC.
- Launching the online film certification system of CBFC e-cinepramaan in New Delhi on 27.03.2017, Mr Naidu said, he has held consultations with former Information and Broadcasting Ministers to elicit their views on critical issues of certification and consultations will be held with stakeholders in the film and media sector.
- The Rajya Sabha has taken up the Finance Bill, 2017 for consideration and return. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley moved the Bill to give effect to the financial proposals of the Central Government for the year 2017-18. The Lok Sabha has passed it earlier.
Indian Navy's hydrographic survey ship, INS Darshak arrives at Colombo Port
- Indian Navy’s hydrographic survey ship, INS ‘Darshak’ has arrived at the Colombo Port on a training visit. During its stay in Sri Lanka, the ship will be conducting a joint oceanographic survey, off the Southern Coast of Sri Lanka from 30 March to 11 May.
- The survey seeks to update all the navigational charts covering the southern Sri Lankan waters with the latest hydrographic data and further cooperation between the two countries in the field of hydrography. The survey will be useful in enhancing the level of navigational safety of all ships visiting Sri Lanka.
India exports buffalo meat worth over Rs. 21,300 Cr b/w April 2016 to Jan 2017
- Commerce Minister Nirmala Sitharaman informed the Lok Sabha today that India exported buffalo meat worth over 21300 crore rupees between April 2016 to January 2017.
Govt planning to launch Yamuna water taxi pilot project: Mahesh Sharma
- The government is planning to launch Yamuna water taxi pilot project with an integrated plan for development of inland waterways for tourism and passenger transportation in Delhi region.
- Giving this information in a reply in the Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Tourism Dr. Mahesh Sharma said that the Inland Waterways Authority of India has approached the National Green Tribunal-NGT for clearance of the project from the environmental and ecological aspects.
Rana Kanwar Pal elected speaker of Punjab Assembly
- Congress nominee Rana Kanwar Pal Singh was unanimously elected speaker of Punjab Assembly today. The name of Anandpur Sahib legislator was proposed by Chief Minister Amarinder Singh.
China defends CPEC project saying not to affect Beijing's stand on Kashmir
- China today defended its ambitious 46 billion dollar China-Pakistan Economic Corridor CPEC project, saying the initiative was aimed at improving livelihood of people in the area and will not affect Beijing's stand on the Kashmir issue.
- Reacting to a motion tabled in the UK parliament condemning Pakistan's arbitrary move to declare the strategic Gilgit-Baltistan region as its fifth province, China said its position on the issue of Kashmir is consistent.
UN conference to negotiate binding treaty to ban nuclear weapons begins
- A UN conference to negotiate a legally binding treaty to ban nuclear weapons opens in New York today. 113 states agreed to the conference by a General Assembly resolution last December. Negotiators will meet for 5 days to draw up a pact to eliminate nuclear arms. Negotiators will initially focus on establishing that the weapons are illegal.
- The United States, Russia and other nuclear-weapon states are not in attendance. They say the issue of genuine security is missing from the agenda. Japan has not made clear whether it will participate in the talks.
West Bengal win Santosh Trophy for 32nd time
- West Bengal have lifted the Santosh Trophy for the 32nd time by defeating Goa One-Nil in the final of the premier domestic football tournament at Bambolim yesterday.
Courtesy: AIR News