PM Modi holds bilateral talks with Australian counterpart
- Ahead of G20 summit in Hangzhou Prime Minister Narendra Modi met his Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull. Briefing media about the meeting, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said, Mr Modi sought Australian support in the areas of clean coal technology, clean water and Nano technology.
Postage stamp to mark Mother Teresa's sainthood
- Minister of State for Communications Manoj Sinha today released a special postage stamp to mark Mother Teresa’s canonisation as a saint at The Vatican. The postage stamp was released at Divine Child High School in Andheri in Mumbai to commemorate the event being celebrated globally.
Centre approves use of chilli-based PAVA shells as alternative to pellet guns
- The Centre has approved the use of chilli-filled grenades as an alternative to pellet guns for crowd controlling ahead of the visit of an all-party delegation to Jammu and Kashmir on Sunday. Official sources said, Home Minister Rajnath Singh cleared the file for use of Pelargonic Acid Vanillyl Amide (PAVA) shells also called Nonivamide as an alternative to the pellet guns.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said India-China partnership is important not only for the two countries, but for the entire region and the world. Mr Modi, while meeting the President of China, Xi Jinping ahead of G 20 Summit in Hangzhou this morning (4.09.2016), said, both countries would have to be sensitive to each other’s aspirations, concerns and strategic interests.
Mother Teresa is now St. Teresa of Calcutta
- Mother Teresa is now Saint Teresa of Calcutta following canonization by Pope Francis in Vatican City. Thousands of Mother Teresa's followers had gather at St. Peter's Square to witness the canonization of the Nobel Peace laureate , who dedicated her life to helping the poor
Earthquake of magnitude 6.1 strikes Southern Philippines
- A 6.1 magnitude earthquake struck the southern Philippine island of Mindanao today (04.09.2016). US Geological Survey said, the quake struck at a depth of 10 kms, northwest of the town of Hinatuan.