1. Why is the sky blue?
A. It reflects the color of the oceans.
B. The color of outer space is blue.
C. Blue is the color of nitrogen gas.
D. Blue light is more readily scattered than red light by nitrogen.
2. Why do the spectral lines of an element act as a "cosmic fingerprint"?
A. each element emits only one line
B. only h and he emit spectral lines
C. each element has a unique pattern of lines
D. each element has the same pattern of lines
3. The small bodies that combined together to form planets are called _______
B. interstellar grains.
C. kuiper belt objects.
D. terrestrial planets.
4. To get into space from the core, the sun's energy has to pass through ________
A. nebula and chromostatic clouds.
B. radiation and convection zones.
C. electron and positron layers.
D. degenerate neutrino compression.
5. Dark lines on top of a rainbow spectrum are known as _______ lines.
6. The greenhouse effect occurs because ________
A. Ultraviolet radiation is blocked by the atmosphere.
B. Infrared radiation is blocked by the atmosphere.
C. Visible radiation is blocked by the atmosphere.
D. Ultraviolet radiation is blocked by the ozone layer.
7. Which of the following processes does not affect the earth's surface?
C. Impact cratering
8. Ordinary hydrogen, the simplest of the chemical elements, consists of ______
A. none of the other answers
B. a single electron revolving around a single proton
C. a single proton revolving around a single electron
D. a single electron revolving around a single electron
E. a single electron revolving around a single neutron
9. Which of the following types of observations must be done above the Earth's atmosphere?
A. All of these can be done on the earth?
10. By far, the largest object in the solar system is ________
A. The earth.
B. The pacific ocean.
D. The sun.