Budget in last week of January?
- The government may ad vance the Union Budget by a month, ending the British-era practice of presenting it on the last day of February. “We have not decided the date but it may be at the end of January ,“ said a source, adding that Republic Day preparations had to be factored in.The move would allow faster policy transmission and let departments spend funds from the start of the year instead of waiting till May .
Kamal Haasan does a Sivaji after 21 years, wins France's Chevalier award
- The French government will honour actor Kamal Haasan with the Chevalier de L'Ordre Arts et Lettres (The Knight of the Order of Arts and Letters) which is part of France's premier award The Legion of Honour. The French government honours excellence in arts by conferring the Chevalier award on 200 artists every year.The South Indian Artistes' Association lauded the actor and said it would hold a function to honour Haasan as it had done for Ganesan who won the award in 1995.
Other Recipients of the Chevalie Award
- Sivaji Ganesan - 1995 - Film Actor
- M.Mukundan - 1998 - Malayalam Novelist
- M.Balamuralikrishna - 2005 - Carnatic Vocalist
- Nandida Das - 2008 - Film Actor
- Ritu Beri - 2010 - Fashion Designer
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan - 2012- Film Actor
- Anurag Kashyap - 2013 - Film Director/Producer
- Chinmoy Guha - 2013 - Ebglish Professor, Frech-Language Scholar
- Prshant Lohoti - 2013 - Art Gallery Owner
At 14.9mn, Tamil Nadu has highest broadband subscribers in country - Fifth Largest In Internet Penetration
- Tamil Nadu has the highest number of broadband internet subscribers in the country . As on March 31, of the 149.75 million broadband users in the country , 14.89 million were in Tamil Nadu, figures released by the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) show. Maharashtra (13.82 million), Karnataka (12.18 million), Delhi (11.98 million) and Andhra Pradesh (11.17 million) are the others with highher number of subscribers surfing internet at speeds greater than 520 KBPS.
Police in Tamil Nadu face leadership crisis - Insubordination Has Become Order Of The Day
- Tamil Nadu Police is facing one of its worst ever leadership crises, raising doubts as to whether the state government's compliance with the Supreme Court order (Retired BSF DG Prakash Singh vs the Union of India case) stipulating a fixed two-year tenure for the state police chiefs has become counterproductive.